Cloud Nine Incentives, the ultimate in travel prizes & promotions...

Get prepared Brexit advice for travellers

It may seem like a little way off before holidays are back on the agenda, but it is good to be prepared
and have something to look forward to. To help you, we’ve shared some useful advice that we’ve created
in conjunction with ABTA (the Association of British Travel Agents) that’s been communicated to our prize and
incentive winners.  
If you have any questions about an upcoming travel activity, or your own plans, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Europe is the number one overseas destination for UK travellers but things will be slightly different from 1 January
2021 and beyond, so it is important you plan early to make sure you have everything in place in time for your trip.
Six steps to take when travelling to Europe from 1 January 2021...

1. Check to see if your passport will still be valid.

If you have a British passport, you will need to have at least six months left on your passport and it must have been issued within the last 10 years. You can use the Government’s passport checker to see if you need to renew your passport.

2. We’ve got you covered…take out travel insurance with adequate healthcare cover. 

We recommend that prizes include comprehensive travel insurance and we always advise travellers to take out a comprehensive policy with sufficient healthcare cover, including cover for existing medical conditions and any activities you plan to do. ABTA has advice on finding the right travel insurance.

3. The European Health Insurance Card. 

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is being phased out following the Brexit deal in favour of a new, free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). If you have a European Health Insurance Card it will be valid up to its expiry date. If you apply for a card now, you’ll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. More details here.

4. Make sure you have all the documents you need to drive in Europe.

If you are driving your own car in Europe, you will need to obtain and carry a physical Green Card for your UK car insurance to be valid in the EU. These cards will be available from your car insurance provider. You may be charged an administration costs. The ABI (the Association of British Insurers) advises you apply for a Green Card at least a month before you are due to travel. You may also need a Green Card for your trailer or caravan, so check with your insurer. You will need a GB sticker for your own car when driving in the EU after the transition period ends.  

If you have a paper licence or your driving licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway from 1 January 2021. These are available from the Post Office.

5. Going walkies?

Get the necessary vaccines and certificate to take your pet abroad. Your pet passport will no longer be valid, instead you will need an Animal Health Certificate and you pet will need to be mircrochipped and vaccinated against rabies. If you wish to take your pet abroad you should speak to your vet in advance to make sure you have these in place before you are due to travel. Full details can be found at

6. Roaming around…

Check your mobile phone company’s policy on data roaming Rules around mobile data roaming are changing meaning you may face charges when using your phone abroad, including for making calls, sending messages or using the internet. Check with your mobile phone provider about their data roaming policy. The UK Government also has advice for people travelling to the EU after 1 January 2021.

Other things to be aware of when travelling to Europe...

  • If you are going on holiday you won’t need a visa for short trips to Europe.
  • At border control you may need to show a return ticket and proof that you have enough money for your stay.
  • When going through passport control you may not be able to use the EU or EEA lanes.
  • You won’t be able to take any meat, milk or products containing these items into the EU. There are exceptions for powdered baby milk, baby food, or pet food required for medical reasons.